Sarah Smith has been on the varsity softball team all four years of her high school athletic career. She is the starting second baseman and does an excellent job by making the pivot to turn the double play for the Lady Patriots. She can also hit consistently, which has made a significant difference so far this season for Indy.
When it comes to academics and softball she always gets ahead of all her projects and assignments. “It’s imperative to stay focused on getting my school work completed to the best of my ability,” said Sarah. “The same approach applies to my effort on the ball field. Having a regular routine, being organized and following a plan is very important to be successful at both activities.”
She plays softball year round in the summer, fall, and spring. Sarah plays competitively outside of school on a traveling showcase team and has been a multiple all-star in recreation leagues. She will also attend a gym four times weekly, perform cardio and abdominal exercises, and lift weights, along with building up her arm and leg strength.
What motivates Sarah is her family and devotion to God. “My parents set a good example for my sisters and me. My dad has been very supportive and keeps me focused. My college sister Anna has taught me to never give up, and younger sister Gracie, who is a freshman at QGHS, is a big fan. Finally, my commitment to my faith is what inspires me to stay on course.”
After graduation Sarah is planning on attending CPCC her first year to get the basic courses completed to save the family the high cost of education elsewhere. “This is a good option for me, and it also will keep me close to home for another year before I transfer to Coastal Carolina.” She has two majors in mind and will make her final decision later. They are physical therapy or interior design.
Up Close and Personal with Sarah:
- “Both my grandparents have been influential in my life. Grandpa has always said to keep moving forward, don’t look back, concentrate on the now, and look toward the future.”
- Her favorite college team is Alabama.
- “Community Service is important to me,” said Sarah.
- Youth ministry is another major factor in her life.
- Her favorite shows are Shameless and One Tree Hill.
- She enjoys listening to Hip-Hop, Country, and the latest hits.
- Her most interesting academic subjects are math and chemistry.
- Advice for underclassman is: “learn to become a valued teammate, work hard, help and support each other because we are a team, a sisterhood.”