Ashley Wilson is a 5’5” senior and has been on the varsity team her entire high school career. She is a starter who has made a major contribution this season. The Lady Patriots have won 6 of 8 games recently and during this run she has scored some key points.
Ashley’s left handed jump shot can be very accurate when she is on her game. She is very competitive and her determination shows. The Lady Patriots finished runner-up in the BSN Queen City Clash Tournament prior to the Christmas holiday winning 2 or 3 games.
When it comes to academics and playing basketball Ashley has gained a lot of experience juggling her time since freshmen year. She spends all her free time on academics doing homework, class assignments, senior projects, and studying for tests as she is taking a full academic schedule. It all comes down to planning, organizing and managing important free time through the use of effective technology tools and setting priorities. Therefore, spending my time, resources and assets wisely is very important, said Ashley. The coach has a 6:10 am film meeting prior to our games so it’s imperative to use my time efficiently.
Ashley enjoys work outs with her twin brother in the family driveway where she can practice her basketball skills against a stronger player. Ashley also said her brother is a good basketball player and should have tried out for the men’s basketball team at Indy. I think he would have made the roster.
What motivates Ashley is her family and especially my mom. She is always telling me to do my best both academically and in sports. My mother is a graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, so the tar heels reign supreme in our family. On the basketball court my coaches and teammates inspire me to push myself. She really enjoys the competition and comradery.
After graduation Ashley plans to attend a four year college in state and major in nursing. She eventually wants to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Her top two choices are Appalachian State University and East Carolina University. She would consider a smaller school if offered an opportunity to play division II or III basketball. However, they would have to offer a solid recognized nursing program. Nursing is my future not basketball, said Ashley.
Up Close and Personal with Ashley:
• Mom and Dad have been very supportive in all my endeavors. They have always been the most influential people in my life. Also, my grandma she played basketball in high school and was the team captain. I dedicate my game to her, also I hear she was quite a good player too.
• Favorite college team is UNC Chapel Hill.
• My favorite professional team are the Carolina Panthers.
• Second best sport is soccer.
• Ashley enjoys action and adventure movies.
• Thoroughly enjoys electric music.
• Pregame ritual is to always get a Strawberry Banana Smoothie from McDonald’s.
• Favorite academic subjects are art, math and science.
• Advice for younger teammates is to be confident in your abilities on the basketball court and in the classroom. You must believe in yourself to be successful at both.
Finally, Ashley would like to give a special thank you to all the seniors, coaches, teachers and mentors for all their guidance and direction over the past four years.