Christian Owens 5’ 11” has been the point guard the past two seasons for the Stallions. He transferred from Hopewell High School after his sophomore year. He is quick with good ball handling skills. Offensively he can take a three pointer and effectively drive to the basket with authority for a layup. However, his role is to control the pace of the game and to set-up the offense.
On academics he plans his day as efficiently as possible. Christian will use his i-phone to manage his time to make sure school work assignments and projects are complete. Being organized and having a plan makes all the difference, said Christian.
He is originally from Queens, New York and he carries a “Big Apple” swagger. It shows on the court and in his mental toughness. His teammates call him “Ace” and there is good reason. He is well liked and usually gets the loudest cheers from the student body when his name is announced during the player presentations.
Other than the spirited and focused practices Coach Forsythe demands from his players. He will practice at the local YMCA and Anytime Fitness to work on his basketball skills. His focus is on fine tuning skills weekly ranging from 5-7 days including weekends.
What motivates this young man is his desire to always improve. He sets high expectations and truly believes only he can limit himself. There is no substitution for hard work, commitment and repetition, according to Ace.
After graduation he wants to study aeronautics and make a career in the industry. He is interested in potentially becoming a pilot or be involved in a technical profession related to aeronautics.
He is seeking an opportunity to play basketball at a small college. Schools that have shown an interest include Hamilton College and Elmira College both division III programs located in New York State. He is also looking at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida as it’s a premier aeronautical school with a worldwide reputation. They also play division II NCAA basketball.
Up Close and Personal with Christian:
• Most influential people are his mom and dad. They always support what I want to do. Dad is all about how best to maximize my opportunities. He always provides good advice and guidance. Mom is just great always available to me. Also, a shout out to my step dad for helping me and being there for me.
• Favorite college team is the Florida State Seminoles basketball program.
• Favorite professional team are the New York Yankees
• Other than basketball his favorite sports are boxing, baseball, and football.
• Most interesting movie is “I Am Legend” with Will Smith.
• Favorite music is J-Cole real good Rap music.
• His favorite academic subjects are Science and History.
• Advice to younger athletes is not matter what your situation is always do your best. Never give up and work hard, the coach is always watching.
Christian’s final remarks reference basketball. I’m grateful for the game, it can be humbling and it has taught me some important life lessons that I will carry with me for a long time. Well said Ace.