Q: What insurance issues should I consider when hosting a party?
A: Whether you’re having a small family BBQ or you’re hosting a crowd for the big game, it’s important to look at your homeowners or renters insurance policy and make sure you’re covered if the unexpected happens.
If you are hosting a party at home, your homeowners and renters insurance policy may cover things like:
- Property in your home that could be damaged by fire or smoke
- Property in your home that could be broken due to vandalism
- Property in your home that could be stolen
- Home windows that could be broken
You never know when something could go wrong at a party. That’s why it’s important to have enough liability coverage for:
- Accidents or injuries resulting from alcohol you’re serving
- Guests getting sick from the food you’re serving
- Damage to equipment any vendors, like photographers, bands or caterers, might bring
- Dog bites
- A slip, trip or fall on your property
Remember, the more people you have in your home, the more potential liability.
You might consider creating a home inventory before the party starts. If anything happens to something you own, you’ll have a record available for your insurance company.
Have further questions? I’d love to answer them! Feel free to call or text my office at (704) 526-0887 or visit us in person at 9539 Idlewild Road or online at MyMintHillAgent.com.