Independence Falls At Home To Porter Ridge

Indy’s Bryson Tisdale tries to elude a Porter Ridge defender in Friday’s home game. Photo by Ron Morris
Share this:

MINT HILL, NC – The Independence Patriots hosted the Porter Ridge Pirates in a Southwestern 4A Conference football game on Friday night.

After Porter Ridge sailed the opening kick-off into the end zone, Indy took possession on its own 20-yard line.  With the Patriots facing a 3rd and 16, Indy’s Arnold Taylor threw for a first down.  However, with 8:39 left in the first quarter, Indy turned the ball over at the Pirates’ 45-yard line.

After moving the ball to their own 18-yard line, the Pirates ran off tackle for the first score of the night. The point after was good, and Porter Ridge led 7-0.

With 1:07 showing on the clock, Porter Ridge had the ball on Indy’s 48-yard line and threw for the touchdown to make the score 14-0 as the first quarter came to an end.

In the second quarter, Porter Ridge moved the ball down to Indy’s 38-yard line.  The Pirates threw a long pass down the sideline.  After Porter Ridge’s receiver made the catch, Indy’s DeWayne Gissendanner delivered a punishing hit on Indy’s 3-yard line causing the receiver to fumble the ball.  The Patriots’ Jeremy Phillips recovered the fumble and returned it to Indy’s 45-yard line.

Arnold Taylor under pressure gets the pass off. Photo by Ron Morris
Arnold Taylor under pressure gets the pass off. Photo by Ron Morris

On Indy’s first play from scrimmage, Arnold Taylor threw an interception to Porter Ridge’s 17-yard line with 3:05 left in the first half.

Following a Porter Ridge punt, the Patriots had the ball at mid-field.  Indy advanced the ball to the Pirates’ 10-yard line but a holding penalty moved the ball back to the 20-yard line.  With 7.1 seconds left in the half, the Patriots attempted a field goal which was blocked.

The first half came to an end with Porter Ridge leading 14-0.

Khall Morrison picks up a first down for the Patriots. Photo by Ron Morris
Khall Morrison picks up a first down for the Patriots. Photo by Ron Morris

The second half started with Porter Ridge receiving the kick-off on its own 26-yard line.  The Pirates drove the ball down to Indy’s 31-yard line and ran in for the score on the next play to make the score 21-0 with 7:53 left in the third quarter. After exchanging counts back and forth, Porter Ridge pinned Indy back on its own 15-yard line with 3:43 left in the period.  With 1:20 showing on the clock and Indy facing a 4th and 5, Indy’s Khall Morrison took a direct snap and ran for 11 yards and a first down as the third quarter ended with Porter Ridge leading 21-0.

As the final stanza got underway, Indy faced another fourth down.  Khall Morrison ran to the Pirates’ 24-yard line for the first down.  On the next play, Morrison took the snap and ran to the one-yard line.  With 9:09 left in the game, Khall Morrison scored on the one-yard run.  The Patriots attempted the two-point conversion but came up short and the Pirates led 21-6.

After Independence’s touchdown, Porter Ridge started a drive but time ran out, and the Porter Ridge Pirates picked up the conference win.

Indy fell to 1-2 in the conference standings and will travel to Butler next Friday night.

Share this: