Size does matter when we’re talking about image sizes for social media.
A picture that works well on Instagram might get cut off on Twitter.
Typically for images, a square works perfectly on Instagram and Facebook, while a longer width rectangle works well on Twitter and LinkedIn.
A tall rectangle shape in needed for Pinterest though and don’t forget about profile headers and video covers, they usually have special sizes for each platform too.
It’s confusing and often we don’t realize the size is all wrong until an image is already published.
Here are the best image sizes (in pixels) for the major platforms:
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 851 x 315
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1080
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Instagram profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Twitter profile picture size: 150 x 150
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1024 x 512
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1536 x 768
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (desktop) 1200 x 628 (mobile)
Not sure if you’ve got the right size? Do a quick Google search for the exact type of post you’re creating and you’ll be able to find the answer pretty quickly.