Just this week I have seen more patients experiencing upper respiratory symptoms than over the past several months. While many patients can not explain the cause to their recent ailments, I have one possible, and likely, theory as to the recent up tick. The answer is rain. Thanks to hurricane Florence (aka: tropical storm Florence), the Carolinas were covered in rain and floods. With the increase in moisture content comes an increase in mold spores. In fact, in my backyard I now have many large mushrooms growing. As we breathe in these mold spores we become susceptible to the damage that these tiny particles have on our health. Listed below are many of the most common symptoms associated with mold exposure:
- Fatigue and weakness
- Headache, light sensitivity
- Cough and postnasal drip
- Poor memory, difficult word finding
- Difficulty concentration
- Morning stiffness, joint pain
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Unusual skin sensations, dry scaly skin, tingling and numbness
- Shortness of breath, sinus congestion or chronic cough
- Appetite swings, body temperature regulation
- Watery eyes
- Increased urinary frequency or increased thirst
- Red eyes, blurred vision, sweats, mood swings, sharp pains
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating
- Tearing, disorientation, metallic taste in mouth
- Static shocks
- Vertigo, feeling lightheaded
Below is a short checklist that might help to identify if you have been exposed to mold:
- Do musty odors bother you?
- Have you worked or lived in a building where the air vents or ceiling tiles were discolored?
- Have you noticed water damage or discoloration elsewhere?
- Has your home been flooded?
- Have you had leaks in the roof?
- Do you experience unusual shortness of breath?
- Do you experience recurring sinus infections?
- Do you experience recurring respiratory infections and coughing?
- Do you have frequent flu-like symptoms?
- Do your symptoms worsen on rainy days?
- Do you have frequent headaches?
- Are you fatigued and have a skin rash?
If you think that you may have been exposed to mold or suffer from mold toxicity, listed below are steps that you can take to restore your health:
- Remove yourself from the contaminated area. This is the first and most vital step. If it is your home, have your entire house professionally cleaned and re-tested for mold exposure.
- Use supplements like Fung-Dx and Bind to remove internal mycotoxins safely from your body.
- Treat co-infections like Candida albicans. Living in an environment with mold leads to immune dysregulation which can allow other co-infections to grow.
- Enhance your glutathione and detoxification support. I use a supplement called Gcel to restore glutathione levels and enhance liver and kidney function.
- Invest in a high-quality air filter at home and at work. I recommend the Air Doctor.
- Lastly, avoid common mycotoxin containing foods like peanuts, coffee, beans, wheat, corn, cheeses, some wines and beers, tree nuts, Brazil nuts, dried fruits and cocoa.
At Stanly Wellness Center, we are eager and ready to help you and your families achieve your best health possible. If you are looking for help with your health or you know of someone who is suffering with poor health, call the office of Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600 and schedule a FREE 15-minute consultation with Dr. Patrick Ess to see how he can help. Dr. Ess will not waste your time or money. He will let you know if he can help you, and if he can’t, who in the community can.Our office specializes in nutrition, detoxification and neurological correction. You can also refer to our website at www.AskDrPatrick.com for more information. We accept most major health insurances including BCBS, Aetna, Humana, UHC, Medicaid and Medicare.