Liquids, gels and aerosols packed in carry-on must follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule:
• 3.4 ounces or less per container.
• 1 quart size, clear, plastic, zip top bag (all liquids must fit in bag)
• 1 bag per passenger.
• Review the prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage.
• If purchasing a baggage lock, be sure to look for those that are TSA recognized.
• Tape a card with your name and contact information on your electronics.
• Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.)
• Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage and must be unloaded, placed in a locked, hard-sided container and declared to your airline.
• All fireworks contain explosive materials and are not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage.
• Pack large electronics on top layer of carry-on for screening accessibility.
• Place your 3-1-1 bag with liquids, gels and aerosols in the front pocket of your carry-on for accessibility.
• If traveling with a pet, be sure to bring a leash so carriers can be properly screened.
Before Leaving for the Airport
• Give yourself enough time to arrive at the airport early.
• Wear easily removable shoes.
• Passengers with a disability or medical condition may call ahead to the TSA Cares toll free helpline at (855) 787-2227.
Before Entering the Checkpoint
• Eligible passengers look for the TSA Pre✓® lane for expedited screening at participating airports.
• Have your ID and boarding pass out for inspection.
In Standard Screening Lane
• Remove the 3-1-1 liquids bag and place it in the bin.
• Ensure pockets are empty (keys, tissues, currency, wallets, cell phones, etc.) and remove bulky jewelry (valuable items can be placed in carry-on).
• Remove your shoes and place them directly on the X-ray belt.
• Remove personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone from your carry-on bag and place them into a bin with nothing placed on or under them for X-ray screening. (E.g. laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles.)
• Remember to check the bins and collect all belongings after going through screening.
Check back next week for part 5 for information on obtaining your passport.