Parents of kindergarteners and new students in Mecklenburg County can contact CMS or their local school for a student enrollment form. Required documents also include a certified birth certificate, three proofs of residency, and immunization records.
The three proofs of residency require a proof of address from each of three types. Type A includes a copy of deed or record of most recent mortgage statement, copy of current lease (including Charlotte Housing Authority and HUD leases), HUD closing statement, residency affidavit from landlord affirming tenancy, Section 8 agreement, or a letter from approved agency (group home purposes only). Type B is a utility bill within the last 30 days. Type C includes a valid N.C. driver’s license, current vehicle registration, valid N.C. photo identification card, W-2 dated within the last year, vehicle or property tax bill dated within the last year, Medicaid card from the last year, payroll stub or bank statement dated within the last 60 days.
Prospective kindergarteners must be five years old on or by August 31, and a health assessment must be completed within the 12 months before the start of school.
Immunizations are required at various levels of schooling. Elementary schoolers need DTP/DTaP/Dt/Td, Polio, Hep B, Haemophilus influenza type B (HIB), Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), and Varicella. Middle and high school requires those and Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Tdap).