Two Republicans, two different opinions on CMS budget requests

It was a busy day for Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools June 8. In one morning, school officials announced they had enough money to keep most of the full time positions they thought they may lose. And then came
the second bombshell: Peter Gorman announced he is resigning as superintendent and taking a job with News Corporation in New York.
Just one day before, the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners voted to give CMS half of the $50 million the Board of Education had requested. The board voted 5-4 along party lines to give CMS $26 million in additional funds for the next school year. It was unclear to the Mecklenburg County board how much, if any, CMS would receive in state funding.The Mint Hill Times
However, the $26 million was not enough to cover the three most important items that CMS said it would fund first if it got additional money.
Gorman said that to keep class sizes lower, maintain student weighted staffing, and keep support positions such as literacy facilitators and media specialists, they would need $34 million. However, CMS’s
announcement last week noted the $26 million would indeed cover the total cost of keeping 570 positions.
“We will use the $26 million just as we told the county that we would,” said Chief Operating Officer Hugh Hattabaugh. “The $26 million will mean we don’t have to increase class sizes and we don’t have to
change our weighted student-staffing formula. Together those two items add up to $24 million – and we’ll apply the remaining $2 million to the next item in the tier, which is support staff in schools.”
While teachers who had already been given pink slips were delighted at the news that they would keep their jobs, Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James, who represents the Mint Hill area, called foul.
“The whole thing was kabuki theater to whip up support from soccer moms,” James said this week. Continue reading

Share

Myrick skeptical about U.S. involvement in Libya

Back in the 1980s, covert operations by the US military to help spread Democracy around the world were the cornerstone of Conservative ideals. Even in the early 2000s, as George W. Bush pushed for a war in Iraq that was based on faulty evidence, the GOP applauded the effort and supported the war fully.

Fast forward to a Democrat in the White House and the GOP seem to have lost their thirst for military intervention in the world. Sue Myrick released this statement last week about the Obama administration’s push to support the rebels in Libya:

“A few weeks ago, Congress passed a resolution stating that no members of the US Armed Forces shall be used on the ground in Libya, and requesting detailed information regarding US interest in Libya, especially as it relates to the War Powers Act.  The Administration has delivered this information to Congress, stating that the War Powers Act does not apply as our military’s role in Libya is limited because we’re operating under NATO.

Myrick goes on to say that the United States providing 70 percent of the coalition’s intelligence capabilities and refueling assets for aircraft are not what she considers a limited involvement in Libya.

“Seventy percent isn’t limited.  Providing a majority of the resources to continue airstrikes isn’t limited. To me, that’s a pretty aggressive role, and as such, the Administration should be required to bring all further action in Libya before Congress for authorization.  As Speaker Boehner has indicated, the House will be looking at the legislative options available to us in the coming days.”

 

Share

Man wrecks truck then flees the scene

WBTV reported Sunday that a man slammed his truck into a tree near the intersection of Arlington Church and Williams roads Saturday night, fleeing the scene on foot before police arrived. Police say he then came back to the scene of the accident an hour later and was arrested for reckless driving and fleeing the scene of an accident.

Share