The folks who are putting together Discover Mint Hill this year have just about finalized plans. The event explores the culture and history in the town and will be held April 16 from 9 am to 3 pm at “Discovery Square,” which is at the intersection of Bain School Road and Matthews-Mint Hill Road.
Monarch Mortgage of Mint Hill is sponsoring a Treasure Hunt for cash prizes. “Explorers” can follow their treasure map to the booths at “Discovery Square.” Collect a sticker from each booth to enter the drawings.
So what can you expect this year?
• The Carl J. McEwen Historic Village will feature hour-long historical tours on a double-decker bus for only $3.00 per person. In the historic village you will find old-time craft demonstrations, panning for gold, the Bost Grist Mill grinding corn meal on site, boiled peanuts and Wilgrove steaks and meet the master herbalists and gardeners at their annual Herb and Flower Festival and buy your spring flowers and vegetables!
• Mint Hill Arts will have a gallery for art demos, drama presentations, face painting, live music from 12-2, a student art show, and a raffle.
• Officials from the Town of Mint Hill will have general information about the Town and a sketch of the new Town Hall
• Find out why Pinkies are Purple in the Rotary’s booth.
• There will be a storytime and prizes at the Mint Hill Library booth!
• A model of Mint Hill’s future Armed Forces Museum will be on display along with supporting information.
• Children can make their own sun visors and play games to win prizes at the Kiwanis Club tent
• Recycle your old eye glasses at the Lions Club booth and find out why that is important – and buy a new broom!
• Spin the Wheel Of Fortune for prizes with the Chamber of Commerce.
• Veterans of the Korean War and other military organizations will have displays in the VFW booth with activities at the VFW building – Civil War re-enactors, flags of our country and hotdogs!
• Members of the Mint Hill Women’s Club are passing out free bottled water and pens.
• The men and women who protect and serve the Mint Hill community – Police and Fire – will answer questions about their jobs.
Oh, and you won’t go hungry! Get a Breakfast Biscuit, BBQ, Hot dogs, Sweet Treats, Wilgrove Steaks, Boiled Peanuts, Popcorn, Fried Pies and Cookies and Cakes.
For additional information – www.discoverminthill.org.